Thursday 15 October 2009

Manikin Patterns..


OK, so last time we made a pattern we did flat pattern cutting, but today we did pattern cutting straight on the manikins. I definately prefer flat pattern cutting, saying that though i have never really had much practise with the other method. It was a very stressful day and from the start I knew it would be one of 'them' days where you feel like you can't do anything right and literally EVERYTHING goes wrong. We had to start by taping out the bust line, waist line, neck line and so on, then we had to drape our calico over the manikin and begin pinning, cutting and working out the darts. We then had to take our calico pattern and put it on paper, measuring out all the darts properly and drawing all the bits in. But for the life of me I COULD not get the hang of anything, everyone else was whizzing ahead and finishing before me, which equalled in me rushing and therefore making tiny mistakes and having to back track. Overall from the day though I did learn alot and I think with time I will (hopefully) get the hang of this, otherwise I can just stick to flat pattern cutting. I also learned that I need to stick to my own pace, and not try to rush ahead to keep up, otherwise my work will not be to my best standard.


No comments:

Post a Comment